Almost everyone knows the benefits of bodybuilding and by using these 15 bodybuilding tips, you’ll be on your way to sculpting your body to be the best it can be.
Bodybuilding does wonders for your social and professional life, and it also gives you considerable health benefits as well. But you only get these benefits if you do your workouts properly and exercise a little patience as well. It takes much time and energy for your body to develop into a lean, toned, muscular work of art.
These tips are a fit for both men and women; even though women do not normally put on as bulky of muscles as men do, the strength and appearance benefits both in the same way.
Crucial Bodybuilding Tips to Keep in Mind:
- Create a bodybuilding plan. You can ask a personal trainer about this or you can do some research online. But you can’t just buy bodybuilding equipment or go to the gym and do any random exercise. You need a good plan that outlines the specific exercises needed, the exact number of reps and sets, and a time frame.
- Start a healthy diet. No list of bodybuilding tips is complete without mentioning the need for a proper diet, because workouts are just one aspect of your bodybuilding plan. Make sure your body gets enough nutrients, especially protein. Take some supplements as well, since your diet probably can’t give you all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients your body needs.
- Get enough protein. As a rule for highly physically active people, you need at least a gram (or even up to a gram and a half) of protein for every pound of body weight. So that means if you weigh 200 pounds, you should consume 200 to 300 grams of protein per day.
- Don’t forget about BCAAs. These Brain Chain Amino Acids are necessary for bodybuilding, and they’re available in supplement form.
- You must have a rest day. You can’t workout every day. This is a very common mistake, and even some bodybuilders who have been at it for quite a while still make this mistake. They train too hard, and too often, so as a result, they become prone to injury and they’re not getting the results they want. Keep your workouts to just three times a week. At the very least, you need two days off each week.
- Get enough sleep. It’s when you’re resting that your muscles repair and grow, and they can’t do that properly when you’re not getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep can affect hormones crucial to bodybuilding, and it also makes you too tired to want to exercise.
- Make sure you target every muscle group each week. You can’t neglect a specific muscle group. When people commit this mistake, the results can be rather off-putting. You could end up with a huge torso and stick-thin legs.
- Start with the basic equipment. If you’re a beginner, you should stick to the basics. Don’t waste your time trying to learn all the fancy new bodybuilding equipment in your gym. Just focus on free weights such as dumbbells and barbells.
- Stick to fundamental exercises. There are numerous types of exercises out there, but the basics never go out of fashion. These exercises include the squat and the deadlift, as well as bench press and the military shoulder press.
- Forget the written descriptions of exercises. Watch the videos on YouTube instead of reading manuals and guides. Take note of the proper form, and watch how the hands and legs are positioned.
- Gradually increase your weights. Track your weights, and then every two weeks you should increase the weight slightly. Your muscles will need to be challenged continuously. What this means is that if you find a certain weight “easy”, then you’re not lifting enough. Lift heavier weights that really challenge you.
- Vary your workouts every two weeks. Maybe you can change the exercises you’re doing, or this can be a simple matter of changing the order of the workouts. But you need variety so that your body doesn’t adapt and reach a plateau when you don’t progress.
- Track your 1-rep weight. Every few weeks or so, find out how much weight you can handle with just one rep of a particular exercise. This weight should increase every time. Doing this tells you how much progress you’ve made in your strength training and it also helps motivate you into continuing your efforts.
- Make your safety a priority. That means taking care of your weights properly, using a safety belt for heavy weights, and having a spotter near you. The point of all these workouts is to make you healthier. You’re not supposed to get injured while you build your muscles.
- Be patient. Regardless of what you may have heard or read online, your muscles won’t grow overnight. You can change this with steroids, but this isn’t only illegal, it’s also unhealthy as well. So just be patient, keep doing what you’re doing and pretty soon you will have the body you’ve always wanted.
Of course, you have to think and act like a true competitor during this period in your life. Eat right, avoid bad habits, and commit to a healthy lifestyle. None of these bodybuilding tips will matter unless you do all these.